Eternal wheels...


-"would you mind if I take pictures of you? " -"Sure! I'm used to it... I've been on TV many times. Never competed, but I did a lot of shows and carnivals".


-"When did you start skating Joyce?"
-"I started skating when I was 7. I 've been skating for 81 years now."
-"What happened with roller skating in Canada? What happened to shows and carnivals?
-"People lost interest... It got really popular at some point, but then it started falling apart. Ice skating was definitely a factor"
(writer's research: Being one of winter Olympic games, ice skating attracts more skaters who are pursuing a career in artistic skating)
-"But there is a large number of people in this session right now?!"
-"Average 22 every week"...




..."I coach 5-6 at the same time. But they are only skating for fun. None of them wants to compete or anything. It'd be so costly for them"




-"So you only teach now?"
-"I mainly did dance (a category of artistic skating that is done by a team of two), but my partner Art , who is also my husband ...



...had a hip replacement recently. So he won't be able to skate for a while"






-"How's the hip Art?"
-"It's PERFECT!!! you know a few weeks ago I couldn't even walk without help. But now I have absolutely no problems moving around"



-"So how long until you put the skates back on?"
-"They said 10 months but I told them 'I GIVE YOU THREE MONTHS! No matter what I'm going back to skating after that' "


"I told my son (also one of the coaches at the club) already, that I will put my skates on next week, on the carpet at home so it won't be dangerous "








(Art demonstrating an element called Spread Eagle in artistic skating for his student)






Art and Joyce George, husband and wife, Roller Dance partners, and coaches at Scooters Roller Palace, Mississauga, Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment